Thursday 11 June 2015

Thursday 11/06/2015 - Rixon and Jones Cost Cutter - Avalon Fishery - Match Lake

I decided to bequeath my Colmic poles to son Steve because of difficulties obtaining spares. So I have changed to Drennan selecting the 13 metre Carp pole which at 11.5 metres was as good if not better than any pole that I have tried out. I also purchased a 9.5 metre margin pole with all sections interchangeable with the Carp pole. The reasoning behind this selection is that I don’t fish further than 11.5 metres and the Carp on the venues I fish are getting stronger and bigger where as I am getting smaller and weaker. I was hoping to catch a couple of Carp today to try it out.

On my own today so I stopped at Shipham CafĂ© for breakfast and ended up sitting opposite Mike Jones. For some reason Mike continually missed his mouth with his food with most of it ending up down his shirt; at least he hasn’t started dribbling - yet!

We were promised good weather today but I was a bit sceptical as a NE wind was blowing which was cold to say the least. However, Carol Kirkland got it about right with temperatures soaring to 24 degrees.

After feeling around in the enormous draw bag for an age I finally pull out peg 44. No emotions as I didn’t have a clue about the peg. Tony Rixon thought it might be OK for Skimmers on paste – where’s Two Pots when you need him!

I had Mike Jones on the next peg, still scraping the breakfast off his shirt in to his ground bait bowl. I set up the Ronnie rig for caster over caster, the 4x16 Jolly to be fished at top-set plus three with semi-hard pellets. Then two paste rigs – one for the LH margin and the other for over the Jolly line.

Although I kept feeding the margin with hard 4’s the under tow back to me was so hard that I could present the paste so this rig had an early bath.

I started in the Jolly with semi-hard’s over kindered wetted micro, whilst feeding the Ronnie line with caster. I had a few small Skimmers to 8oz but I couldn’t get any fizzing from the bigger Skimmers. The tow was just as bad out on this long line. I started to get Ronnied so decided to have a go on the paste. I had two Carp one small and one about 3lb. I then had two better flying Skimmers. The swim then went quite I persevered with the paste probably too long and with two hours gone I had a go on the Ronnie’s rig and caught well for 15 minutes then it slowed then it would pick up then slow again. I think the slowness was due to Carp having a look see. I kept trying the pellet and paste but now found all I could catch was Ronnie’s on the drop.

Mike Jones had his down from the start of the match appearing to be catching well. I was beginning to think I had fallen between two stools – the Skimmers and Ronnie stool. So with an hour left I decided to get my head down on the Ronnie’s. Then fate played a hand as I foul hooked a Carp which was selfish enough to break me up. I thought about putting another Ronnie rig on when I spied some blow on the long line so selected the paste rig. First put in I foul hooked a Carp. Next put in I hooked and landed a double figure Common Carp which gave the pole the awaited trial. Then fate played its second hand I hooked a big Skimmer which flew out and off the hook. Fates third hand was identical with another big Skimmer flying off – bugger.

My three Carp weighed 16lb and my Silvers 26lb 13oz for 7th overall and third in the Silvers, The upshot was if I had stayed on the Ronnie’s or hand landed one of the two flying Skimmers I would have had a Silvers second. At least I beat Jonesey.

The match was won by Dan White (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 105lb 2oz from first end peg 48. Dan caught at 16 metres down to his end bank catching deep and shallow using banded hard pellet.

The Silvers was won by Gary Cross (yes Gary Cross) (pictured right with his net of Skimmers) from peg 40. Gary caught at top-set plus two (nice to hear) using worm over CW&C.

Full Result:

  1. Dan White 105-02-0 peg 48
  2. Dave Romaine 87-02-0 peg 28
  3. Tony Rixon 79-08-0 peg 26
  4. Mike West 54-13-0 peg 24
  5. Ray White 49-11-0 peg 38
  6. Dave Bacon 44-05-0 peg 30
Top Silvers:

  1. Gary Cross 36-10-0 peg 40
  2. Dave Bacon 28-10-0 peg 30
  3. Mike Nicholls 26-13-0 peg 44
  4. Mike Jones 24-08-0 peg 42
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: