Sunday 28 June 2015

Sunday 28/06/2015 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

Bela cried off today because of aches and pains from working on a steep roof, I suggested he bought some high heels shoes. For his information one Fox, one Badger today.

A steady drive up and after a chat with Anton, Alan and Leon it was late into the draw bag and out comes peg 42. I have drawn this before and have won the Silvers with Ronnie’s and a few small Skimmers.

I thought I would give the corn a work out today because I haven’t fished for a long while and it’s the current (cheap) bait to catch the Skimmers’. So I set up a 4x14 Jolly for this task to be fished at 7 metres. The only other rig was the Ronnie rig. So another sparse bait tray. I am a believer of selecting a bait right or wrong and try and make it work. I didn’t bring any semi-hard 4’s today because the Ronnie’s have been nicking them before they got to bottom.

I started by potting in 20 grains of corn with a smidgen of wetted micro. I started to loose feed the Ronnie line. I had a fizz over the corn line straight away so started on that and had a 7lb Carp first try, quickly followed by a foul hooker. I tried for a total of two hours to try and catch another fish of any description over the corn even though I kept feeding it. So time to try the Ronnie line and get a days fishing. I couldn’t believe how hard it was to catch them – very slow on the caster. So with no Skimmers on the corn my only hope was to fish for Carp. Because of the lack of feeding Ronnie’s the Semi-hards might have been the answer today.

Last time I fished the peg I plumbed up to the right over the tree stump and found 3 foot of water right up to the tree roots but didn’t fish it. As I like to try areas that aren’t fished I clear some summer vegetation and set up a paste rig. Not for the faint hearted. I liberally fed the wetted micro and first put in I had a local Stockie, followed by one of about 5lb then another about 10lb – going to bag up then after all – not – that was it except for five decent Skimmers form the same margin.

My silvers weighed 13lb and my Carp 27lb 2oz for a total of 40lb 12oz for 8th overall.

The match and Silvers was won by Chris Telling from peg 6. See his blog to ascertain how much CW&C he fed.

Runner up in the Silvers was Baggy (pictured right with his catch of Skimmers) with 49lb 11oz from peg 32. Baggy caught on 90p worth of corn at 7 metres.

Anton Page who was on peg 40 included three Grass Carp (pictured lower right) in his catch fishing long line shallow.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Telling 78-01-0 peg 6
  2. Steve Chandler 75-12-0 peg 12
  3. Andy Lord 55-10-0 peg 36
  4. Baggy 53-07-0 peg 32
  5. Anton Page 48-0-0 peg 40
  6. Mike Gale 47-08-0 peg 25
Top Silvers:

  1. Chris Telling 54-02-0 peg 6
  2. Baggy 49-11-0 peg 32
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: