Monday 15 June 2015

Sunday 15/06/2015 - Tony Rixon's Float Only League - Round Two - Specimen, Match and Walter's Lake

This coming week is the start of our annual holiday at Viaduct Fishery. I must say the Chalets still look new. On arrival on Saturday as there weren’t any matches we could fish Martyn and I had 4 hours pleasure fishing, me on peg 66 (I wanted to try out my pole and familiarise myself with the new Drennan elastics and Martyn peg 19. I did have 5 Carp which was my quarry plus 27 Skimmers to 2lb. Martyn had no Carp but had a similar bag of Skimmers pictured right – all paste caught.

Sunday seen me, Glenn, Geoff and Martyn off to Landsend for a Tony’s float only league but not before breakfast in the Bear Inn in Street. More sophisticated than usual.

Arrived at Landsend Fishery in plenty of time enough to notice the sign on the gate (pictured right). Food for thought from Somerset.

My order of preference would have been “The Third Lake”, Match Lake and Specimen Lake if I had to!! So early into the draw bucket and out comes peg 25 on Specimen. If I had to fish it (and I do) then the peg would have been my third choice as I could reach the end banks. At least I had some good company including Chris Davis and Chris Fox who always gives me laugh one way or another. I didn’t realise how important the company was going to be.

The fishing was so poor that I need not go through the rigs I used today as there was so many that didn’t catch fish.Bloody good job the company was good which helped the time go by in between the first hour where I caught two Carp on the only rig to produce which was a 0.4 paste rig fished at 11.5 metres long the end bank and the last 45 minutes during which I added another four and went from despair to not wanting the match to end – typical.

I did have a go at the Silvers but couldn’t catch anything decent that would lead to Silvers coin as the F1’s count at Silvers on this venue.

My few Silvers weighed 6lb 11oz mostly Perch and my six carp 36lb 9oz for a total of 43lb 4oz for fourth in section. However, I did manage to sneak through the knockout against Mike West – but only just.

The match was won by Steve Tucker (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 125lb 9oz from peg 1. Steve initially caught down his end margin at 6 metres then later switching to his RH margin up to the bush. All Steve’s fish fell to 8mm meat. Steve fed 1 ½ tins plus two pints of hemp seed.

The Silvers was won by Gordon Cannings (pictured with the match winner) with 22lb 12oz from peg 31. Gordon caught short also on 8mm meat feeding 1 ½ tins throughout the match.

I hear that someone was catching on hair rigged worm – mind boggles over such things.

Full Result:

  1. Steve Tucker 125-09-0 peg 1
  2. Tony Rixon 123-15-0 peg 18
  3. Clint Wojtyle 105-09-0 peg 19
  4. Dave Evans 105-08-0 peg 13
  5. Shaun Townsend 105-0-0 peg 70
  6. Craig Edmonds 102-15-0 peg 51
Top Silvers:

  1. Gordon Cannings 22-12-0 peg 31
  2. Tim Ford 16-02-0 peg 27

No comments: