Monday 4 May 2015

Sunday 03/05/2105 - Landsend Open - Match and Walters Lakes

Up early to free up the joints and sort my fishing gear for today’s match at Landsend. This means a stop for breakfast in Shipham which was very busy today (Bank Holiday weekend) however, Bela and I didn’t have long to wait. I couldn’t help noticing that there was some pretty lasses serving today – busy has its benefits.

I haven’t been to Landsend for just over a year. So some noticeable changes the Container shop have been refurbished. Mike Duckett said it was necessary because it was beginning to look like Tony’s old shop – no chance of that. And of course the trees have grown as they do.

There were two sections on the match Lake and one on Walters the Lake I was hoping to draw. In to the draw tin and out comes peg 13 the top corner of Match Lake. Bela drew peg 11 opposite me. I had a quick word with the Landsend Oracle John Bradford who said there has been a lot of Carp at this end of the Lake (probably because of the wind blowing this way) – not what I wanted to hear because I wanted an easy day on the Silvers – suit Bela though.

Arriving at the peg and the first thing I noticed was the tree along the middle of the end bank which has grown huge. It wouldn’t affect my fishing but for those that like to flay around with long poles it may. Would have been interesting to see Bela fish it!!

Peg 13 has plenty of Silvers history with Perch, Chub and Tench down the end bank and Skimmers out in front. So I set up a 4x14 Jolly for the Skimmers with pellet, but for the wind off my back blowing in from the moors through the gap in the trees I could have gotten away with a 4x12. I did set one up for the end bank for up on the shelf with caster. Finally I set up a paste rig to fish the RH margin on the top set at a depth of three foot.

I started on the 4x14 jolly at top set plus two sections at 1 o clock with semi hards on the hook over some kindered micro. It wasn’t long before I had a small Carp. I decided not to feed for a while to see if I could get the Skimmers to come over the residual feed. I had a quick run of Skimmers and a Bream before it died. So kindered some more micro in and another small Carp followed, the same pattern but with more Carp and less Silvers. I was determined to stay with the Silvers so changed to caster down the end bank up to the tree trunk. Over kindered caster and single caster on the hook I had one Ronnie and three small Perch before the small Carp found the caster which they were frenzying over which meant a few foul hookers. I was going no where with the Silvers and was suffering from over active Carp as per yesterdays match. If you can’t beat them join them. So with half the match gone I had six small Carp in the net, but the talk from Bela’s bank was some anglers had already 11 Carp; Bela was catching Carp well too. Possibly “Catchupable” I thought. So I switched to the paste on the top set where I had been dribbling hard 4’s.

First put in had a 10 pound Carp and over the remainder of the match I added another 14 big Common Carp to 15lb feeding about half a pint of 4's. Come the end of the match I thought Bela had beaten me as he had more fish than me.

My Silvers weighed 7lb 10oz and my Carp 152lb 2oz for a match winning total of 159lb 13oz (pictured right), just beating Craig and Bela.

Interestingly I only picked up £2 more for today's 18 peg match than yesterdays 7 peg match! 

Bela drew next to the venue expert again Tony Rixon who was on his favourite peg 7. That didn’t stop Bela thrashing him again. I must say I was impressed with how Bela fished his shallow long line rig at 14.5 metres for six hours (except for the times he had to retrieve his rig from the trees) over to the point of the island, it isn’t easy to hook the Carp doing this as the bites were very fast. Well done matey another double van pick up.

The Silvers was won by Nigel Bartlett (pictured right) with 22lb 13oz of mainly small fish caught short to hand using caster over caster.

Plenty of Carp feeding at present as the results show. Need to give the Silvers a week or two to recover and I suspect the Carp will spawn next week when some hot weather is forecast.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 159-13-0 peg 13
  2. Craig Edmonds 147-11-0 peg 1
  3. Bela Bakos 142-08-0 peg 11
  4. Paul Elms 124-08-0 peg 50
  5. Anton Page 122-08-0 peg 42
  6. Tony Rixon 118-0-0 peg 7
Top Silvers:

  1. Nigel Bartlett 22-13-0 peg 21
  2. Craig Edmonds 22-02-0 peg 1
  3. Paul Faiers 21-05-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheets:












No comments: