Thursday 9 April 2015

Thursday 09/04/2015 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

We were promised wall to wall sunshine with temperatures in the high teens, we weren’t disappointed. At last we could discard those thermals and the joint pain to get them on and off. I was sporting my new wide brim hat, which when the Special One first saw it burst out laughing calling me “Vera”. I was hoping for at least “Indi” and a cuddle!!

I arrived exceptional early because there wasn’t any school run because its half term. Dave Wride had arrive earlier so we had a walk around the all the Pools. I felt it would fish well today.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 21 for the fourth time this year!! However, because of the short walk and the short peg there were worse. For company on peg 19 for the third consecutive match was Tony Rixon.

I set up two Jolly’s – a 4x16 to be fish at 12 o clock and at 9 o clock where the depth was similar – a 4x14 jolly to be fished at 13 metres and at top-set plus one – the old favourite Ronnie rig and finally a paste rig to be fished over the 4x14 lines.

I fed both lines for the 4x16 jolly starting over the 11.5 metres at 12 o clock I had a reasonable 45 minutes catching Skimmers to 1 ½ pound. The swim then only produced small Ronnie’s and Skimmers. I tried the other line only to catch one 8oz Skimmer. The upshot was I spent the last 5 hours of the match on the Ronnie rig catching small fish up in the water on maggot until the end.

The paste rig produced nothing but nibbling from small fish and the 13 metre line also produced nothing.

I finished the match with a disappointing 14lb 8oz.

I and the majority of the Coffin Dodgers were saddened on seeing a group of BAA officials arrive at the end of the match to transfer the line caught Carp to Withy Pool. I wonder who is making these decisions and why there isn't some sort of consensus involving the regular anglers of the venue. OK removing the bigger Carp, however, these should be replaced with smaller Carp – say each Carp removed replace with two 2/3 pound Carp. I think the ecology of the Pool should be maintained.

The match was won by Dave Bacon (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 65lb 8oz from peg 30. Dave caught half his weight on the pole using jelly pellet comprising seven Bream and few Skimmers. Dave later added four Carp on the Pooper scooper.

The Silvers was won by Ray Bazeley with a credible 44lb 4oz from peg 27. Ray caught on either Ringer expander pellet or maggot over micro.

Full Result:

  1. Dave Bacon 65-08-0 peg 30
  2. Alan Jones 54-0-0 peg 28
  3. Ray Bazeley 44-04-0 peg 27
  4. Terry Bruton 38-11-0 peg 6
  5. Tony Rixon 33-02-0 peg 19
  6. Bob Price 27-08-0 peg 2
Top Silvers:

  1. Ray Bazeley 44-04-0 peg 27
  2. Dave Bacon 35-12-0 peg 30
  3. Price 27-08-0 peg 2
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: