Thursday 2 April 2015

Thursday 02/04/2105 0 Bathampton AA/ Veals Silvers Championship - Final Round - Bridge Pool

Last in the BAA Silvers League series , as usually happens in most league come the last match the attendance drops, today we were down to 24, which I think is about the right number for a competitive match on this venue.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 15. History tells me that it is a good Silvers peg, however, as of late it ‘s not been that good with 13lb being the top weight so far this series with 8lb next. For company on peg 14 was the Bridgwater brawler Rich Coles. On peg 16 was that nice man and venue Bailiff Mike Taylor, our pegs have the potential for some sword fencing. However, Mike went pole –roller tall and I went short (about right). Mike also let me share his top-set roost (pictured right). I usually chuck them on the ground and it wasn’t long before that was the case.

I set up two 4x16 Jolly’s, one for maggot and the other for semi-hard 4m pellet. As I had plenty of time I set of the old faithful Ronnie rig for the caster. Plumbing around I decided on 10 metres for the pellet, just out of the “Hole” at 10 o clock and the same distance in the same depth at 2 o clock.

Starting on the soft pellet over kindered wetted micro I started catching Skimmers straight off. Over the next 2 hours and 35 minutes I caught well, Skimmers to 3lb including a 5lb Tench. The swim had slowed so I fed a ball of GB laced with maggot over the 2 o clock line. I did have a couple of 1lb Skimmers over this line but that was it and on hindsight it was a mistake feeding the GB I should have stuck with the pellet. I struggled for an age until I tried the Ronnie rig adding a quick 3lb until I hooked and lost a near 20lb Carp. I kept trying the two lines without adding anything significant to the keepnet.

I ended the match with 30lb 1oz for 5th overall and a section win. Having missed a match I was pleased to end up joint 6th over.

Luckily my pairs partner Dave Bacon was doing well in his section ending up contributing a section 2nd, enabling us to hold on to second place overall. Well done matey.

The match was won by John Smith (pictured right) with 36lb 2oz from peg 26. John caught mainly on soft pellet over micro and later with triple red maggot. John also won the Knock out - happy days.

The league was won by Dave Wride with 9 points.

 Full Result:

  1. John Smith 36-02-0 peg 26
  2. Barry Fitchew 33-09-0 peg 28
  3. Dave Bacon 32-14-0 peg 29
  4. Dave Wride 32- 09-0 peg 32
  5. Mike Nicholls 30-01-0 peg 15
  6. Dave Gillard 27-14-0 peg 10
 Top Pairs:

  1. Dave Wride/Tony Rixon
  2. Mike Nicholls/Dave Bacon
Knock Out:

  1. John Smith
  2. Tony Rixon
  3. Mike Jones
Final Overall League:

  1. Dave Wride 9 points
  2. Paul Barnfield 11
  3. Mike Jones 12
  4. John Smith 13
  5. Barry Fitchew 15
  6. Tony Rixon 16
  7. Mike Nicholls 16
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: