Wednesday 21 January 2015

Wednesday 21/01/2015 - Hillview Open - Rover - All Lakes and Canals

Glenn and I had previous commitments for the Veals Thursday match at Emerald so chose to go to the Hillview Wednesday Rover.

The drive up wasn’t too bad once we had negotiated the Ring Road, can’t say the same for coming home as the Ring Road was grid locked.

We had breakfast at Hillview which Glenn shared with his new mate Billy (pictured right).

Rover matches are great fun until it’s your turn to choose! In to the woolly hat and out comes draw queue number 6. With 11 fishing and with the whole venue to choose from I thought the match would be won on one of the Lakes. However, because of the weather conditions and cold biting wind plus I haven’t fished the Canals since Keith stocked the F1’s, I decided on Canal pegs 87 & 70 as my first choices which was as far as I could decide. Come my turn to select, theses pegs were gone so nostalgia took over and I went for peg 56 on the second canal (pictured right). I have done well on this peg over the years plus I was sheltered from the wind as it was off my back plus the Canal has a bank behind it. This Canal also holds plenty of small fish so with the venue having been frozen over the day before it might produce more bites.

I set up the one rig a 4x12 Jolly to be fished at top-set plus two which took me down the track. I changed the hook to an 808 – 20. I started the match by feeding a few micros with a micro on the hook and caught small Crucian’s from 3oz to 8oz straight off plus the odd small F1 to 1lb. After an hour I switched to semi-hard 4 pellet hook bait and carried on catching the same stamp of fish at least I was kept busy. At half way I opened up a dead maggot line to my Left at the same distance. However, this proved to be a mistake as I was pestered by minuscule Rudd, Gudgeon and Ronnie’s.  I switched back to the original line and had a slow hour but by keeping a few micro going in I managed to get the “Carpetts” back. In the last hour I did catch two 2lb Carp.

Because the fish were so small it was difficult to estimate my weight and I was surprised to weight 30lb for the highest weight on the Canal and sixth overall. I really enjoyed the fishing.

As I expected the match was won from Heron Lake peg 37 by Andy Bruton (pictured right) with 50lb. Andy caught at 14.5 metres out in front using maggot over micro.

Glenn was third to select his peg at went for historic peg 42 weighing 20lb.

Full Result:

  1. Andy Bruton 50-0-0 peg 37
  2. B Proctos 48-08-0 peg 87
  3. Colin H 40-08-0 peg 29
  4. Rob Danter 33-0-0 peg 70
  5. Pete 33-0-0 peg 95
  6. Mike Nicholls 30-0-0 peg 56
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: