Thursday 29 January 2015

Thursday 29/01/2015 - Emerald Fishery - Veals "You have to be mad to fish" Open - Sapphire & Ruby

I drove today and had breakfast bought for me by mid week travelling partner Glenn Bailey in the Hilltops Café.

Both of us were concerned about the weather as the forecasts seem to get worse by the hour. I can factually report that we had gales force winds, snow, sleet and rain plus it was freezing cold.

With eight pegs on Ruby and two pegs on Sapphire the pond I was hoping to be on because there are more catchable Silvers. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 6 on Ruby a good peg. However, I was a little disappointed until I realised that the two pegs on Sapphire were occupied by good focused Carp anglers.

I decided to fish for Silvers and therefore set up a Ronnie rig and a 4x14 Jolly to be fished at 6 metres down the shelf of the opposite island. The bait tray consisted of just the one pint of casters.

Starting on the Ronnie rig I caught some decent Ronnie’s from the off with single caster hook bait. However, it wasn’t long before I was getting liners from Carp. So once again it was a question of fishing around to keep the Ronnie’s coming. At half time I switched to the Jolly and had a run of small Rudd and the odd accidental small Carp. Unfortunately I hooked a branch on the bottom and although I managed to get it out I disrupted the swim so switch lines so keep the fish coming. With 20 minutes to go I broke my hook length unhooking a small Carp. I tried to put a new hook on but my hands were so cold I couldn’t feel the line or hook! So it was back in the Ronnie rig adding only another two Silvers.

My eight small Carp weighed 8lb 14oz and my Silvers 13lb 1oz for a Silvers win (pictured upper right).

The match was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured right) with 47lb 1oz from peg 4, Glenn fished at 14 metres over to the opposite island. Glen had about 40 Carp most of them caught on either 6 or 8mm hard pellet.

Considering the conditions the weights were exceptional. This is a great winter fishery.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 47-01-0 peg 4
  2. Adrian Jeffery 43-06-0 peg 10
  3. Tony Rixon 39-04-0 peg 1
  4. Dave Bacon 33-02-0 peg 5
  5. Pete Turner 23-12-0 peg 8
  6. Mike Nicholls 22-15-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 13-01-0 peg 6
  2. Mike Jones 10-02-0 peg 7
Weigh Sheets:


No comments: